TEM & EER
This is not an official document, and it can not be held accountable. This document contains the basics of the EER, and for more information you should always check the EER, as that contains all information. So if you think something is applicable for you, check the EER first.
TEM: Twents Educational Model
TEM is the way the education is done in the bachelors at the University of Twente. For students it means that their study program looks different than at other universities. The year is divided in modules, 1 module is 1 quartile of a year. The modules are structured around projects, and all the subjects relate to the project. This means you can use the theory you studied in the lectures for the project work. TEM also promotes student-driven learning. It means that students take control over their own learning process, the choice for this was based on preparing students better for an uncertain future. Furthermore, TEM should prepare the students for three roles: critically assessing, combining and applying scientific knowledge and being able to add knowledge.
For more information about TEM you can visit this website:
EER: Education and Examination Regulations
The EER are the rules regarding the educational program and exams. In the EER you can find everything about exams, EC’s, and more rules that are important for you. You should read this document when you start with your studies, as you have to sign for it every time you make an exam. The EER is different for bachelor and master programmes.
The whole study consists of 180 EC, 1 EC stands for 28 hours of studying.
Modules and subjects
- Every quarter, you subscribe to one module.
- You have to follow the whole program, do all the courses.
- You can only follow less courses when there are personal circumstances.
Students pass the bachelor examination when you pass all tests and the bachelor thesis.
- There is a mixture of assessment methods in each module. For example, tests, individual assessments and group assessments.
- For each module an assessment schedule is defined, which is published on blackboard before the start of the module.
- When you can only participate in a test if you have successfully passed a previous assignment, then the examiner must make this known to the students via blackboard before the module starts.
Elective space in B3
In B3 you can fill the first semester with electives.
|Internship||B1 + B2 successfully passed|
|High Tech Human Touch modules||At least 90 EC successfully passed|
|Join-in Minors||At least 90 EC successfully passed|
|Crossing Borders, educative minor, board minor||At least 90 EC successfully passed|
|Elective courses (for example from another university)||At least 90 EC successfully passed|
|Studying abroad||At least 90 EC successfully passed, including the first 2 modules of the second year (module 5 + 6)|
Started in 2015/2016 or before
The program is primarily taught in Dutch, B1 + B2 are completely in Dutch, however module 11 will be taught in English. Although the module is in English, just like the tests, students can answer in either Dutch or English for all tests and test components.
Started in 2016/2017 or later
The program is in English, just like the examination. Assignments and tests have to be done in English.
Has to be consulted for the EER, also talks about the module evaluations and determines if the improvement plan is good. Gives advice on matters relating to teaching in the bachelor of science programme Communication Science. Also asses the manner in which the EER is carried out.
Determines in an objective and expert manner whether a student meets the conditions set under the EER, concerning the knowledge, comprehension and skills required to earn the degree.
To continue your studies
BSA: Binding Study recommendation
You need to obtain your BSA in order to be able to do the second year. When will you get your BSA?
- When you complete at least 3 modules (45 EC)
- When you complete at least 75% of the first year study load , But you can’t have more than 1 insufficient grade in each part: project, theory, research methodology and skills.
This can be different when you have personal circumstances. When this is the case:
- Immediately notify the study advisor
- In consultancy with the study advisor, you might apply to the Committee Personal Circumstances (CPO) at an early stage.
- An application for an assessment should be submitted
- An interview with a student counselor should be held.
- The CPO will give a recommendation
- The program board will make a decision
- Students can appeal against the decision at the central complaints desk
When you did not pass everything, and you have to do tests and test components again next year, you have to deliver a study plan to the study adviser.
Validity of test and test components results
- A module component (test-result in Osiris), for example the whole theory part of a module, has an unlimited validity
- Test component results are only valid in the academic year in which they were obtained. So if you fail Skills, but had one assignment from skills you passed, you have to do this assignment again too.
Retaking a module that doesn’t exist anymore
When you have to retake a module that changed in set-up and/or content so much that the weight of the components changed, there will be a different arrangement for that module. This could mean that you have to follow one or even more new module components, or even a whole new module.
You also have to deliver a study plan.
Test subject hours: Sona
Part of your bachelor’s exam is a compulsory test subject unit for 15 hours, 10 hours of this must be done in the first year. The other 5 hours must be completed before the bachelor examination. You need to take part in at least 5 different research projects. When you do not show up for a study you would participate in, you get a penalty of 5 hours.
Graduating Cum Laude
Your average of the exam grades in B1, B2 and B3 should be 7,5 at least, exept for the electives.
- Your grade for the bachelor thesis is at least an 8
- All exams were graded with a 7 or higher
- No graded work is redone (no retakes)
- The bachelor is completed in 3 years, unless the examination board judged differently.
- When the guidelines aren’t fully met, a proposal for awarding the diploma with the words of “with distinction”.